Call for Artist Submissions: Visual Art Installations
Supercrawl’s Visual Art Committee is pleased to release its Call for Artists for 2020. Supercrawl is a free annual outdoor art and music festival in downtown Hamilton, showcasing a diverse and dynamic lineup of music, art, fashion, performance, talks, crafts, food and fun. Supercrawl 2020 will take place on James Street North from Sept 4–6, 2020.
What Are We Looking For?
Every year, Supercrawl issues a call for artist proposals that create creative, compelling and unique environments and experiences for festival-goers. Projects by local, regional, national and international artists are selected based on artistic merit, originality, and ability to integrate within the festival’s scale, spirit and energy. To date, the festival has showcased works in a variety of media, including projects by Dean Drever, Zeke Moores, Sean Martindale, BGL, Kelly Mark, Kim Adams, Sonny Assu, Max Streicher, Susy Oliveira, Jaime Angelopoulos, José Luis Torres, Shelley Niro, and many others.
The goal of the festival’s Visual Art Committee is to select contemporary visual art pieces that will enhance the overall Supercrawl experience. The Committee invites artists working in a wide range of creative disciplines to propose works for installation as part of this year’s event.
The Committee is interested in seeking proposals in the following areas:
• Identification of distinct Art Zone (i.e.: entryways, banners, etc.)
• Installation art
• Public interventions
In addition, the Committee welcomes proposals that can be installed within the following context:
• Mural frame (approx. 21′ wide x 25′ high) on south facade of 118 James St. N., Hamilton, ON
Proposals must consider public safety and visibility, and the piece must be able to be safely performed or executed outdoors with large crowds present at all hours and weather conditions, and should remain impactful during both the daytime and night-time hours of the festival. Audiences are estimated at approximately 80,000 people per day.
• Artists working collaboratively is permitted. (Collaborative implies that more than one artist has worked on the piece being submitted.) Please choose ONE artist’s contact information for communication purposes.
• Work must be original, current and completed within the past ten (10) years.
• Artists are responsible for ensuring that there are no copyright issues or other legal issues attached to images used or the subjects of their commission.
Fees & Resources
Each project selected will be allocated an artist’s fee in line with CARFAC fee schedules, in addition to the project proposal’s material and production budget. Costs such as travel and accommodation, where necessary, may be covered and will be addressed on an individual basis. Production assistance may also be available.
Supercrawl will also be assigning significant resources to promotion of the event and selected artists leading up to the festival, and during the event. The festival will provide schedule signage, produce posters and handbills, and include programming details both in printed materials and on the Supercrawl website.
Dates & Location
Works will be featured throughout the festival weekend (September 4-6, 2020) and installed in Supercrawl’s Art Zone, located along James Street North between Cannon Street and Robert Street.
Submission Package Requirements
• Contact Information / Website
• Artist CV
• Artist’s statement – conceptual statement of the work
• Practical explanation of the work (i.e.: Description of proposed project, scale, materials, methods). Provide an installation plan including time required and any technical/logistical requirements.
• Estimated Budget – Project Material and Production Costs (i.e.: materials, rentals, travel expenses, artwork transportation)
• Photos/Renderings/Sketches of Proposed Work (3-5 images)
• Support Images – 3-5 images of previous work relevant to the proposed project. (Video works: 10 minutes maximum)
• Image List – indicating title, year, media & dimensions/duration of works.
The Supercrawl Art Committee is open to creatively diverse work that has large-scale visual impact and responds to the streetscape of the event. Artists and their work will be identified and publicized as official Supercrawl curatorial selections during the event, on the Supercrawl website and in select media releases. Artists will be required to sign a contract with Supercrawl Productions Inc.
Deadline for submissions: Friday, January 31, 2020 at 11:59pm ET.
Late submissions will not be considered. Successful applicants will be contacted by March 2, 2020.
Artists are encouraged to contact the Committee to receive clarification and/or additional information as needed to develop proposals.
Top: Dean Drever, Bear Hunt, at Supercrawl 2014. Bottom: José Luis Torres, Overflows, at Supercrawl 2016